samedi 14 juillet 2012

Interview with Sulis Tiyanti





1st PART: Woman’s history comprehension/understanding

  • Can you present yourself in a few words and explain us what is your job/responsibilities?
I graduate from accounting. My job is organize and manage the people and the operations from the cargo and maintain the bitumen good in the truck to the customer and back to the depot. It is my responsability.

  • How did you come to working in an asphalt company?
The first company I worked in was this one. They were the one to call me. At the beginning I was doing accounting, ad then they gave me more responsabilities. As I was hired as an accounter, so this was not making any difference for me that it was a technical company. Then as I told you, they gave me more responsabilies, and I took the challenge. I like to learn! But it is not about technical, it is more about management and coordination. I just need technical basis. I don't need to know about chemistry.

  • Did you have to face any difficulty as a woman in your studies/in your job? Or do you think being a woman facilitated it ?
To find job it was easy, there is a lot of work in administration. When I became coordinator of the operations of the depot, my family support me, as long at the job is not a desservice to my family.

  • What are the special qualifications you need to have for your job ?
You need to never give up, to be honest, to like to learn, you should be a good manager and give a good example of discipline to your employees.

  • What are your everyday motivations?
I go to wor to work because my religions teachs me to do everything to pray. So everyday I wake up, I prepare the breakfast for my husband and my children. I must go to work because of Islam principle. It means that if you have a responsability, you have to do your best to do it without complaining. We must be strong.

  • How do you conciliate professional and personal life?
No, it is not difficult. I have two children, 7 and 5 years old. They go to school. They have a babysitter. My husband works too. he does the same work as me, for passengers in boats.

  • Could you tell us professional or personal realizations you are proud of?
I'm really proud of my family. And on the professional life, I'm happy and very proud of my team. We always do good work here.

  • What is your next challenge?
I want to be a better manager. I think I need more leadership. I must learn this, so my employees could follow me, and so work would be even better.

  • What do you like in this company?
It is comfortable. Because my boss gives me support. And if I make mistakes, they give me conclusions to help me to never give up!





2nd PART:  General debate on woman engineer: differences and new things a woman can bring in a male team

  • Do you think men and women work differently? Could you give us concrete examples (personal works, project works)?
Boys ude more their logica, and girls use more their feelings. So the woman would always be careful not to hurt the person she is talking to. But a boy is straight. But if there is a work to do, I don't think there is a difference between women and men for the quality of the result. Honesty doesn't depend on the gender either.

  • Do you think that gender diversity in a team is helpful for working atmosphere and/or is linked to team performance?
I like a mixte team. I think it's good for ambiance. But if there is a physically difficult work, a male team would be better. But when a work needs
to be done accurately, a female team would be better.





Video

  • Can you present yourself in a few words?
Hello, my name is Sulis Tiyanti, I'm married and I have two daughters. My carieer began in ABS in 1996. Now, I'm depot coordinator, my job is to manage operating of depot.

  • Which advice could you give to young women who hesitate to start engineering studies ?
ABS is a road company, maybe a lot of people think there is only men. I think it's a wrong feeling. Don't ever think about the gender. Think about the capability. Women and men have the same opportunity if they have a motivation and if they want to do.

  • What has been your biggest difficulty as a woman engineer?
I had to do an important work when my daughter was 6. On one side, I must do my job, but on the other side, I had to look after my children. So sometimes I was a little confused about this.

  • What has been your biggest satisfaction as a woman engineer?
I feel satisfaction if the company gives me a job and that I can finish it well with my solid team and my family supports me.

  • What is your next challenge?
I want to be a good leader to manage depot. So in my opinion I need to be trained for that.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire