samedi 14 juillet 2012

Interview with Siti Margiastuti












1st PART: Woman’s history comprehension/understanding

  • Can you present yourself in a few words and explain us what is your job/responsibilities?
My name is Siti Margiastuti, I'm a technician of laboratory, I'm responsible for the checking of the quality of the asphalt recieved for our customer in the incoming cargos.
Before ABS, I worked with an other company. When my project finished, I joined ABS.
  • How did you come to engineering and sciences ?
I'm a chemist. I choose that because I like the job in laboratory.
Nobody was engineer in my family. My father was a farmer. My parents live 20 hours from here!
In the high school, I liked chemistry. I was very good at it, that is why then I choose chemistry to continue my studies.
In my project of end of studies, I learnt the basis of Asphalt analysis. That is why then I choose ABS.
  • Did you have to face any difficulty as a woman in your studies/in your job? Or do you think being a woman facilitated it ?
We were fifty percent of girls. But after the studies it was difficult to get a job. Because employers think there is too much pressure, and the technical field is more for men. However, we don't have a physical job as a chemist.  Most of my friends work now in the labs of manufactories.
  • What are the special qualifications you need to have for your job ?
You need to have good concentration, to be precise and to be a hard worker. When the cargos arrive, you have to carry samples from the ship, and
the ship moves, you mustn't be scared!
  • Do you have to move abroad for your job?
No. From now I stay here.
  • How do you conciliate professional and personal life?
I'm 24, I don't have children.
I work from 8 to 16h, and I need 1 hour to go to work. But when I'll have children, for sure I'll continue my work because I love it! The babysitter would take care of the baby!
  • Could you tell us professional realizations you are proud of?
In ABS, they did a little challenge to encourage people to throw paper in a bin and not somewhere else! It's about ecology!
  • What do you like in this company?
I like that the job is really challenging. I like that it is not only a work for men. Women can do it too!
  • What is your next challenge ?
I want to continue to studying to get a bachelor degree, I want to choose chemistry engineering, I'll do it this year. I need 2 or 3 years to finish it. I'll work in the day and study in the night.






2nd PART:  General debate on woman engineer: differences and new things a woman can bring in a male team

  • Do you think men and women work differently? Could you give us concrete examples (personal works, project works)?
I can't really say, because in our laboratory, everyone has to do each week a schedule, for example for me it is a schedule for the sample of the storage. But the other employees, men and women, have to do schedule too.

  • Do you think that gender diversity in a team is helpful for working atmosphere and/or is linked to team performance?
I prefer to work with a mixte team, with more boys and less girls, because girls gossip a lot! For example in my last company we were too many girls, and there was too much competition. But I don't want to be alone either! And the productivity is better in the mixte team. A team with 70 percents of boys and 30 percents of girl is good for me. But a team with only boys is not good either, because sometimes men are not so well organized. Girls know better how to follow a process.





Video
  • Can you present yourself in a few words ?
My name is Siti Margiastuti, I'm a technician of laboratory, I'm responsible for the maintenance quality of the storage, outgoing from the depot for the customer, and aftersales.
  • Which advice could you give to young women who hesitate to start engineering studies ?
Don't give up, keep the spirit, and go go go!
  • What has been your biggest difficulty as a woman engineer ?
It is difficult to carry the samples or move the equipment from one place to another
  • What has been your biggest satisfaction as a woman engineer ?
Mu job in general! I like it!
  • What is your next challenge ?
I want to continue my studies, I'll do chemical engineering.



 

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire