mercredi 29 février 2012

Interview of Bindu Khanal (03/02/2012)






·         1st PART: Woman’s history comprehension/understanding

o   Can you present yourself in a few words and explain us what is your job/responsibilities?

I’ve been working as a civil engineering since last 3 years. The first year I’ve been hired to work on a construction site, then I’ve been working in a tour construction company, and now since last 2 years I’ve been involved in educational institution, hired by the Nepal engineering college of Kathmandu. I am an assistant professor in the field of geotechnical engineering.

o   How did you come to engineering and sciences?

Obviously every child has its one dream. Actually, since my childhood, I though I would be either an engineer or a lecturer. But see, today I’m both. Actually my uncle was an engineer and I was inspired by him. My mother was a school teacher and my father still works in government bank. My younger brother is aeronautical engineer; he has completed his studies from Nanjing University in China, he is currently working for a job. My younger sister is working now in a bank office.

o   Did you have to face any difficulty as a woman in your studies/in your job? Or do you think being a woman facilitated it?

I didn’t have to face any difficulty. It was really interested to study with boys, and they were really helpful. We were 43 or 44, and among them 4-8 girls. Actually, today in Nepal, maybe no more in city but in remote places, even if a girl is good as school the parents don’t see the interest to encourage her to do high studies. At this age, girls would be either married or something like that. They don’t get opportunities. This is the problem in Nepal. Nowadays, I can see changes as I’m a professor. For example, in a class of 50 students, 33 % of seats are reserved for girls. So they get more opportunities.

o   How do you conciliate professional and personal life?

Not yet. I don’t have children, I’m recently married, my husband is in the same fields so he knows how it works. I don’t want to have children now, after some time yes. But I want to work for my carrier first, to do my PHD, or work in or outside Nepal.

o   Could you tell us professional realizations you are proud of?

I own a company of 4 people, 2 are me and my husband. We created the company in 2009, in order to answer to the need of a telecom firm from Israel. They needed a lot of engineers for their project. Last year we completed a telecom tower in the world highest place (attitude). We had to build everything. I’m really proud of this.




2nd PART:  General debate on woman engineer: differences and new things a woman can bring in a male team

     o  Do you think men and women work differently? Could you give us concrete examples (personal works, project works)?

I think each person has its own style to work. Men and women have completely different style to carry on projects. An architect told me one day that he thinks that women understand faster. In communication I think women and men communicate the same way. But especially on a site you can’t be all the time polite. I think when it comes to this, a man would handle it better than a women.

o   Do you think that gender diversity in a team is helpful for working atmosphere and/or is linked to team performance?

Yes. As I’m a lecturer, I have an example. If you give a project to a male group or a male/female group, they will behave differently. In a male group, men would use rough words, they would concentrate less. The other team would be more concentrated. They will be more efficient and more productive. There is a kind of competition between men and women in the team, and they have better attitude. That’s why the team is better.




3rd PART:  Vidéo

o   Short representation

Hello, I’m Bindu Khanal, currently working as assistant professor at Nepal engineering college, having worked as civil engineer since last year. At the beginning of my professional life, I have already worked on a building construction site and a telecom tower construction site. From last 2 years I’ve been involved in Nepal Civil Engineering College.

o   Which advice would you give to any young woman who hesitates to start engineering studies?

I just want to say that working on a construction site it’s completely different from working in an office. You’ll get to know about the real things, the real challenges you’ll face, because of all this things you get to know news things everyday. And when you overcome these challenges you get all kinds of satisfaction which is perfect.

o   What has been your biggest difficulty as a women engineer?

I haven’t found any difficulty being a woman engineer.

o   What has been your best satisfaction as a women engineer?

Actually people appreciate us so much, I mean, on building sites, they have just seen men working there, when they see women they appreciate, they always wish they had a daughter like us, so it makes us feel really really proud !

o   What is your next challenge?

As an academician and also a married girl, my biggest challenge would be to carry on my personal, my professional life, my educational life in the same time. I’m preparing to my PHD course so it’s gonna be a big challenge for me !


Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire