mercredi 29 février 2012

Interview of Rashmi Reuha Sahoo (10/01/2012)



·         1st PART: Woman’s history comprehension/understanding
o   Can you present yourself in a few words and explain us what is your job/responsibilities?
I’m the managing director of the electronic department of Prime SD Engg. Consultants Ltd. I’m working on all the electronic needs of the constructions of my company, for example on transformers tanks. I’m most of the time in the factory, at 30 km south of Delhi. I’m managing a team of 7 men, in which I have 3 engineers.
o   How did you come to engineering and sciences?
At first, I wanted to be a software engineer but I did not have good enough grades to choose this speciality. I choose the electronic specialty which was also offered in my school.  
o   Did you have to face any difficulty as a woman in your studies/in your job? Or do you think being  a women facilitated it?
Unless we were only 8 girls in a total of 70 students, I did not have any special difficulty during my studies. But it became a disadvantage when I was looking for a job, most of the employers were looking for a man to work in this field. Nowadays I think that it’s not such a problem. And even if I’m working in a factory, I’m respected and esteemed by people who work with me.
o   How do you conciliate professional and personal life?
We are really organized with my husband. Usually he takes our daughter to the nursery at 9:00 am in the morning and I’m taking her back home in the evening at 6:30 pm.

·         2nd PART:  General debate on woman engineer: differences and new things a woman can bring in a male team
o   Do you think men and women work differently? Could you give us concrete examples (personal works, project works)?
I don’t think that there are that many differences between men and women in a working team but I’d better work with women, I think that they are more organized in their work, maybe because they have to leave work early to take care of their children.
o   Do you think that a mixed team is helpful for working atmosphere and/or is linked to team performance?
Yes, I think that women are often more honest and sincere and those two qualities are important to guaranty a good working atmosphere.

·         3rd PART:  Vidéo
o   Short representation
My name is Rashmi I’m handling different kind of projects in our company. I’m the managing director of the electronic department of Prime SD Engg. Consultants Ltd.
o   Which advice would you give to any young woman who hesitates to start engineering studies?
 I think I should advice to young women please don’t hesitate to join engineering, because when they will be successful engineers, they can feel themselves proud and more confident in front of male people or male engineers in our society.
 o   What has been your biggest difficulty as a women engineer?

I think I haven’t faced any difficulty as a women engineer.
o   What has been your best satisfaction as a women engineer?
My biggest satisfaction is to feel more confident. And I think it’s a characteristic of engineering, more than other jobs.  
o   What is your next challenge?
My next challenge is to reach top level, to handle a whole project independently. Now I’m working under many seniors. But I just want to reach this level.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire